Thursday 25 February 2016

Review- WeiJiang MPP10 Optimus Prime

I had my reservations when I read the news on WeiJiang MPP10 Optimus Prime and gave the preorder a miss. After all, I already have the original TakaraTomy MP-01 and 2 MP-10s (TakaraTomy and Year of the Horse version). Granted the price was very attractive. Heck, it was even cheaper than my Unofficial Gold Chrome MP Optimuse Prime. Then I watched the video reviews and I was really surprised by the unanimously positive feedback given to the figure. I mean these are the same people who owned other versions of the MP-10 molds. These are also the same people who were rather direct on highlighting the quality of toys produced by third party companies. By then, it was too late. I contacted a few guys who do preorder of toys and they couldn't even get enough stock for their orders on hand. The orders had to be fulfilled in batches and I looked to Taobao. The sellers were experiencing the same problem over at China as they couldn't meet the domestic demands too. 

Recently, I happened to browse through Carousell and I saw the item listed by one of my favourite sellers, jeslintok. I enquired, thinking I have to be put on the waiting list or wait for the second batch of production run. To be delight, there was stock on hand! I made the payment and it was couriered very promptly. It was also very well-packed to prevent any form of damage on the toy. I mean this is what you would get from a seller who is also a toy collector. They go the extra mile just to make sure you get your toy in the best shape possible.

 

 

The unassuming brown box

 

Front of the packaging    
                  
Back of the packaging                

The first thing that struck me when I was handling the packaging was the sheer volume of this toy. It was just huge. It kind of reminded me of the time when I handled the packaging of MP-01. It just feels impressive and I understand why many third party companies are in the race to produce oversized Transformers toys. It does impress collectors to get their favourite molds in a larger scale.

 

 

Out of the packaging

Once you have the styrofoam box out of the packaging (not very environmentally friendly I must say), I was overwhelmed with glee to examine the main figure and accessories as it felt like I had a magnifying glass over a regular MP-10. It was real fun and you need to have one right in front of you to fully experience what I mean! The people who designed the packaging made it a point to ensure that the figure and accessories were individually packed and have minimal contact with anything else in the box. This is evidence of effort to preserve the best condition of your product. How is that for taking pride in your work?

 

 

Mandatory Matrix of Leadership shot!

 

It was a climactic moment to open up the chest of the Prime to place an upsized Leadership of Matrix into him.   The paint job and finishing are astoundingly well-accomplished and I was thoroughly impressed. It is, however, light for a toy of this size. Perhaps my expectations were inflated. When I picked up the figure, I can't help but compare it to MP-01. The material used is just different. I mean MP-01 is packed with diecast parts. I know it is not fair. I just couldn't help myself with making that comparison.

 

 

Size comparison to the Golden Boy

 

I am sorry but my other masterpiece Optimus Primes are stuck way back in the display cabinet. Grabbed the next closest masterpiece Optimus for comparison. Feels like I have just placed an upsized meal beside a kiddy meal.

 

Hello from the other side...

 Here's are the things to consider in getting this figure:

1. Are you collecting Optimus Prime? If yes, just get him already. If not, you can still get him as he looks impressive with your collection.

2. Are you a die-hard official product collector? If yes, just get him as he scales well with official MP Grimlock, Megatron and Ultra Magnus. If not, you wouldn't mind a third party product like it to add to your official MP Primes.

3. Do you already have a MP-01 or MP-10 figure? If yes, just get him as you can consider him as a different figure. Size makes a difference. If not, just get him as he is still a good representation of those toys in your collection.

In short, just get him already!

 

2 comments:

  1. I bought him through a group buy from our resident group buying master in the Philippines and even if i have he mp-01, I love everything about it. I'm gonna be here in Singapore more frequently. Hope you could introduce me or share links to any KO group buying here. Thanks! BTW, I blog at www.transformersad.com IG; @jaydjnet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure. Let me know bro through my email when you are in Singapore :)

    ReplyDelete