Tuesday 10 November 2015

How It All Began... Part 1

So, what piqued your interest in collecting toys? 
 
I wasn't into toy collecting until I started a work attachment in 2012. Instead of just work-related items on my colleague's desk, I noticed many toy figurines displayed. It added a personal touch to his work environment and I was captivated by what I saw. It triggered the idea that I could do the same thing and enjoy the toys displayed at my work station.  
 
My Marvel Figure Collection
Left

And you started with.... 

My collection started with the Iron Man 3 and 3/4 inch figures as they were affordable and easily available. It wasn't too long ago when Iron Man hit the big screen and the merchandise were on the shelves of departmental stores. One thing led to another and I progressed to other Marvel characters and Marvel Legend series as the figures from that series were much bigger and it felt more substantial when you handled the toys.   

My Marvel Figure Collection
Center

Have anyone asked what you see in these toys? 
 
Many people asked me that question. These toys brought me back in time, to my childhood when these figures represent something bigger. These figures represent characters with a story that filled my childhood. Holding these toys meant holding on to my fond childhood memories. Of course, as an adult, I do appreciate the aesthetic quality of these toys. It is very interesting for me to see the 2-D characters becoming 3-D in the toys I hold. One can easily appreciate the sculpting, colour and material that form the toy. Toy packaging is a big part of the toy too as the packaging must include attractive box art to attract collectors.    
   
My Marvel Figure Collection
Right
  
Are you still collecting figures from Marvel?     

Well, I moved on from Marvel to anime series such as One Piece and Dragonball. In the process, I was actually reminiscing my childhood as I explored toys from television cartoons or comics that I have watched/read. I went onto the Super Sentai series as Power Rangers was a big part of my life when I was growing up. I have also moved on from vinyl figures as I struggled with the purchase and storage of vinyl figures (more about that in the next part!). 


This marks the end of Part 1 as this geek recollect on his journey of collecting toys. Stay tuned for Part 2!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment