Thursday 12 November 2015

Review- The Official Transformers Collectors' Club Exclusive: Drift

Archetypal or not, Drift has wormed his way into my heart when he abandoned his Deadlock Decepticon way and switched to the Autobot faction. Heck, he even lent his blade to Kup and wound up as a Wrecker for a short stint. While I do not really appreciate Empire of Stone for its story and art, I went headlong into the series because that was the only way I could still follow Drift in his exploits after leaving the Lost Light.  

I nearly wanted to say that the Shattered Glass Drift is my FIRST bot from the Shattered Glass collection and then I remembered Optimus Prime. Shattered Glass Optimus Prime. The appeal of the collection lies in the look into a mirror universe where your Autobots are the bad guys and the Decepticons are the good guys. Enough about things that you can wiki on your own. The draw of the series lies in the recolouring of the original toy to create an alternate persona. There is just that draw to the nemesis version of a heroic bot. See what I did there? Just look at the number of Nemesis Primes!   

Why only look at Shattered Glass Drift now? The collector in me is waiting eagerly in anticipation of Takara Tomy's release of Deadlock. If you have been following me on Instagram, I have looked at Drift recently and I have finally moved on to the Shattered Glass version. Who knows what might be next in the mould? Teehee! By the way, the real practical reason was because I finally waited out and paid a small amount for this guy. So much for the collector's sentiment.  Enough yakking, let's look at the toy!
  
Box Art
   
The box art is looking... well... all shattered? This is heavy going for a box art! The pistol-wielding, sword-gripping red bot just screams Deadpool! 

Right out of packaging

They weren't kidding when they said this is for adult collectors! The quality of the box feels solid and sturdy. It was so well-packaged that I had a hard time sliding the lower case out of the box. The red caught my eyes immediately and the pistols had me worried for a second. I thought Drift only wields blades? Or at least that were his weapons in the Generations series.

 
Vehicle Mode- Tokyo Drift

The vehicle mode is gorgeous! While the Generations Drift had a quiet Japanese sports car feel, this vehicle simply screams for your attention. The overt-Japanese style can be picked up from the rising sun motif. 

 
Robot Mode- Dual Blade Wielding!

The transformation is the same as Generations Drift. What? Something is wrong if any of us is expecting otherwise. Everything about the robot mode is the same as Generations Drift. At least for the mold. Other than the obvious recolour, I like the purple Autobot insignia and the purple paint apps on the short swords. 

 
Bot with a mouth     

By now, you must be rolling your eyes if I lapse into another Deadpool reference. Sorry but I'm not sorry. Can't help it. How is this not merc with a mouth? It just bugs me that there is no place to store the pistols. This collector is really asking for too much!

 
Round One, Fight!

Who doesn't like a blade which you can wield with two hands? If you are a Star Wars fan, this pose is enough to make you high. The long blade reminds me of a sword from the Hong Kong comic 风云 too. What? I can't enjoy comics from America, Hong Kong and Japan? Not all is perfect with this figure. I had difficulty bending the elbow joints as the shoulders and wheels tend to bump into each other. Without the huge shoulders and scabbards at the waist, this figure is skeletal. The biggest selling point is the close resemblance to the body proportion of Gundam robots and the wide array of weapons that comes with the bot.    

I would highly recommend this figure if you are into blade-wielding bots or bots with Japanese feel. If you are looking for something chunkier, steer clear. For me, I love Drift. I love a Drift from an alternate universe. I love this mold. I am just not too sure about the price you may have to pay for this figure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment