Sunday 13 December 2015

How It All Began... Part 2

Previously you mentioned that you moved on from Marvel figures to...   

Unlike the collection showcased on my Instagram (@Sgtoydude), a big part of my childhood was not Marvel or Transformers. It was actually anime like Dragon Ball as I was not from an English speaking-family. So when I was trying to find a part of my childhood in my toy collecting journey, I got into display figures from Dragon Ball and later One Piece. Super Sentai came into the picture when I also found mechas from Power Rangers. Imagine the joy of owning the Megazord again!
 
The original Black & Gold Megazord!!!
 
What about the struggles you had with collecting vinyl figures?
 
Oh! That! I had the vinyl Marvel figures displayed on my workstation and over time I didn't like the smell! They just don't smell good on display! I mean after you have accumulated quite a fair bit on display, the smell just grew. I also had problem storing them as they usually came in blister packs. Once opened, you either display them or you pack them into ziplock bags and boxes. It was not easy to display them as most of these figures topple easily. Paintwear was a common pain too. Over time, many of these figures become sticky, which is also a problem when you are purchasing these figures, as some of the older and sought-after figures have the same problems even though they were sold mint in box. It was just more pain than gain. In the end, I decided enough was enough for me.
 
With my G1 design and Matrix, I shall lead your collection!
 
And you moved on to Transformers?
 
Yes! Like many, my first Transformers love was OPTIMUS PRIME! But remember I said earlier that I did not watch much English cartoon or read much English comics? It is embarrassing but true about my relationship with Transformers! I only had vague memory of a few episodes of Transformers aired over Channel 5 and I always remembered the deep booming voice of Peter Cullen as Optimus Prime, leading the Autobots to foil the destructive plans of the Decepticons. I also picked up an Optimus Prime toy as I remembered reading about its collector's value somewhere.
 
It ain't no Optimus collection till it's two shelves!
 
Much has changed since then?
 
I have gone on to watch the entire Transformers: Animated and Transformers Prime. They both got me curious enough to read the entire Generation One comics and the entire IDW series (much are available free for loan from the National Library!). They were enough to get me on track though I still can't bring myself to sit down and watch the old G1 cartoons. Just can't find that sort of patience. I grew to appreciate the design concept behind the Transformers toys. It just fascinates me that the toys can have alt modes and the transformation just baffles me. The plastic used on official products are usually of relatively good quality and I find them durable for handling and great on display! Aside from the older toys, it is usually fun to pose Transformers toys as they have more articulation. 
 
As good as a customized Transformers toy gets!
 
Stay tune for Part 3 as this geek shares more on his Transfomers collection and what he is up to!)
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment