Sunday 6 December 2015

Review- Lego Star Wars Advent Calendar Set 2015 75097 so far...

My first Lego toy review! In the first place, I do not have many entries. Need to remind myself to do this more often and not succumb to the lazy habit of just posting toy pictures over Instagram (@sgtoydude). Anyway, before I beat myself up over my laziness, we are looking at the Lego Star Wars Advent Calendar Set 2015. From my understanding, Lego has been releasing Star Wars Advent Calendar since 2011. The draw of the set lies in the individual toys sealed in 24 compartments that you can open each day leading to Christmas. Not forgetting the set's exclusive figure!
               
Lego Star Wars Advent Calendar 2015 Box Art                                  

The box art showcases a Star Wars battle scene with as much Christmas festivities as you can get in snow. While the box art has accomplished what it is supposed to do, which is to attract children and adults alike who love Star Wars and Lego, I think they have given away too much of what to expect from the box set. It may have killed the surprise element of the advent calendar. Sighs. But let's be honest, you can probably spoil your own suprise by typing the name of the box set in your search engine.

 

Day 1- The Khetanna/ Jabba's Sail Barge (after you use your imagination)

 

Day 2- The Great Pit of Sarlacc (not so great in size. But really cute!)                            
Day 3- LIN Demolitionmech Autonomous Minelayer (I think)                               
Day 4- Jawa (they were much cuter in the movie)          
Day 5- The Sandcrawler (my favourite so far)

The biggest gimmick of the set lies in the surprise that one gets from revealing the sealed toy. So far, we have gotten microbuilds, location build and a minifigure. From my understanding of the previous releases, we should be getting weapon racks and stud-shooting weapon builds too. 

The set felt lackluster as Day 1's build requires a lot of my imagination to see it as Jabba's sail barge. As the days gone by, I began to appreciate the set more. No, I am not just appreciating the set because I eventually got to the minifigure. The point of the set is really for children (or anyone) who can use their imagination to enjoy the microbuilds and what they represent in the Star Wars universe. Granted, you need to have SOME knowledge of Star Wars to fully enjoy the builds. The flap with the landscape design allows you to have the microbuild and minifigures interact with one another for display or simulate the battle scenes in your head. 

I paid SGD $40 for the set and it comes up to about SGD $1.67 per build. If you ask me, the set has already paid for itself with its exclusive Christmas minifigures that can go up to almost SGD $40 on the secondary market. The set does what it is supposed to do. For its price point, it allows a parent to bring 24 days of Christmas surprises to a Star Wars or Lego fan-child (then unveil a giant Star Wars lego set on Christmas. Or not. Let's not get all consumer about the occasion!) The building visuals on the inside of the compartment's flap left much to be desired but they are simple enough for a parent to enjoy the process of building with the child. It is also at a low entry price level for those of us venturing into the Star Wars Lego universe or people who simply do not have enough space to house or display the bigger sets. Please head over to my Instagram as I continue to share the daily builds from this set as we count down to Christmas! 

           
   

No comments:

Post a Comment